Thales Times

Model United Nations

Maddie Turco

A Model United Nations club has begun meeting at Thales Academy. For this year, this club is open to 7th, 8th, and 9th graders. Model UN is an extracurricular activity where students role play delegates from the UN and simulate committee meetings. This is normally a competitive club, but Thales is just getting started this year so there will be no real conferences until next year. In preparation for a Model UN meeting, students write a one or two page position paper telling the rest of the council what position their country holds on a given topic. They will work with other countries to help solve the problem and come to a resolution. Thales Academy Rolesville currently has two councils: The General Assembly and the Human Rights Council, as well as a slew of fun topics to discuss including: Promoting Women’s Rights in Developing Countries, Illegal Wildlife Trade, Imprisonment of Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons, and Cyber Security. On the topic of Migrants and IDPs, a participant might research his or her country’s Immigration Policies and how that particular country treats migrants. Mrs. Brown, one of the “coaches” of Model UN, was asked about the importance of learning about world politics; she said, “In my opinion, I think that it’s incredibly important for students to be aware of what happens, not just in their communities, but around the world, and Model UN gives them a way to do that and become more immersed in other cultures and develop dreams and aspirations to change the world.” The clubs are capped off this year, but please consider joining next year. If you have any questions, feel free to stop by and talk to Ms. Canipe in Room 131.