Thales Times

High School: Spanish vs. Latin as a Subject

Kassidy Johnson, Writer

The transition from middle school to high school can be filled with stressful choices which will ultimately set the route for how the next four years of your future will be played out. Among these choices you will have to make is the choice between Latin or Spanish class. If you have been a Thales student, you have already become familiar with the language. Latin is a classical language, which means even though we do not speak it in modern times, it still is beneficial for college applications. Spanish is a fun class which focuses more on modern life and is useful if you want to speak to other people in different countries.

Spanish is a more practical language to learn. It will be helpful to you in many many ways including receiving a job in a competitive workplace. If you ever want to travel to a Spanish-speaking country, you will have the advantage of being able to speak to the natives without an interpreter. Speaking of being an interpreter… you could apply your Spanish-speaking skills to help someone who is in need of a translator. Learning Spanish will definitely benefit you past your high school career.

Latin is an unique language to learn in high school. Even though the language is dead, it still will benefit you in your life. Latin roots give us more than half of our English words, which means when you see a complex word and study Latin… chances are that you will be able to break the word apart into basic prefixes and suffixes and understanding the meaning of the word without even seeing the definition! There was also a study that shows that studying Latin is linked to high SAT scores, which will definitely be a huge advantage when trying to become accepted into colleges. (http://whsnyderjr.blogspot.com/2011/05/latin-and-sat.html) Latin is definitely still useful in your life, even if it’s not an actively spoken language.

Choosing between these two languages can be really tough. Spanish is more helpful than Latin in terms of communication, but Latin is more helpful than Spanish in terms of being academically set apart from others. After speaking to several Spanish students and Latin students in high school, they all agree that studying language has helped them in many ways from improving SAT scores to being able to translate for someone in need. Thales provides us with a strong foreign language program that we should all be grateful for in the long run, no matter which language you choose. Both Spanish and Latin provide us the opportunity to better our lives; it’s up to you which one will help you more.