Thales Times

Junior High Quiz Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior High Quiz Bowl

Emily Hammill

Have you ever watched the TV show, Jeopardy, and wondered what it would be like to possibly be one of the contestants on the show? If you have, you should consider trying Quiz Bowl. Junior High Quiz Bowl is a fun, fast-paced, trivia competition where you buzz in to answer questions. The questions are on almost any topic you can think of. They range from math, science, literature, and history to sports and pop culture. There is something for everyone in Quiz bowl!

Quiz Bowl is lead by Ms. Dumond, and anyone in junior high can join the team. Last year, there was only one other student and I on the team, but we still competed and did well. This year however, the team has greatly expanded and we hope to field both an A and a B team. The team usually has two to three competitions a year in which we compete against local schools. It is a lot of fun and you can have a great time interacting and competing with friends.

When I asked Ms. Dumond about what she most liked about being a part of the Quiz Bowl team as the teacher, she said, “It is super fun for me to hear all these different trivia questions and to be the leader of a student trivia team. It’s also really exciting to me when the students apply what they learn and get answers right!” I also asked her why she thinks the team has gained so many members and she believed, “We have so many new sixth graders and, fortunately, that provides us with a whole new pool of students to pull from and get excited about Quiz Bowl.” Ms Dumond also spoke with me about the hopes she has for this year. “Ideally we could rank high in the first Jamboree to build our team’s confidence,” she explained.

Does this club sound fun to you? If you think Quiz Bowl is something you would like to become a part of, come to one of our weekly meetings on Fridays at lunch! If interested, Ms. Dumond would like you to know, “It’s not too late to join. If you like trivia, it’s a lot of fun!” We hope to see you at our next meeting!