Thales Times

Junior High Cross Country

Kenzie Wilkes, Copy Editor and Writer

This year, the Thales Junior High (JH) cross country team is bigger than ever! In the 2016-17 school year there were only 30 members. This year there are 67 members! The coaches for the JH cross country are Coach Brown and Coach Harris. Mrs. Boriotti and Mr. Quakenbos also assist the team. Coach Brown’s favorite thing about cross country is getting to know and work with students outside the classroom. She says, “Watching them strive to achieve non-academic goals is fun and fulfilling as a teacher and a coach. Also, runners tend to be be really open and honest. We have a lot of time to talk while we log those miles.”  Coach Brown says you should join cross country for, “good fun, good friends, and good exercise. It’s a great way to be a part of a team and make new friends while challenging yourself and others.”

So why so many new runners this year, you might ask? Coach Brown had some thoughts on that. ”I think it’s a combination of factors. For most, they want to be part of a team. For some, they want to push themselves to their limits. For others, they want to win trophies, like we did last year! And for a few, I’m sure their parents made them! Regardless, we’re all here to run and have fun!” Coach Brown believes the competitive spirit is what makes cross country so much fun. “You are are always competing with yourself to improve your personal best times and, at the same time, you are competing against other runners. There is also special camaraderie from being in a small pace group within the larger team.”

What makes cross country different than other sports? Coach Brown says,” As the saying goes, ‘Our sport is your sport’s punishment.’ Runners are tough, and distance running takes grit, motivation, and lots of practice. We compete in all weather and all terrains, so every race is different than the last.

Come out and support Thales Rolesville’s junior high cross country team this year!